American actor and producer Mark Sinclair, professionally known as Vin Diesel, seems to have confirmed that the next “Fast and Furious” movie, “Fast X”, will be the first in a trilogy to end the franchise.
When asked about the future of his character, Dom Toretto, the actor indicated that the finale could be three films long. This was before the film’s premiere on Saturday in Rome.
“Without giving away too much I can say this. Going into making this movie, the studio asked if this could be a two-parter,” he began.
“And after the studio saw this part one, they said, ‘Could you make Fast X the finale, a trilogy?’ So, um…” Diesel trailed off, while co-star Michelle Rodriguez added that there are “three acts in any story.”
While the pair were fast to leave before confirming the news, it appears fans will be getting a three-part finale from the franchise.
Fast X will also include Tyrese Gibson, Sung Kang, Jordana Brewster, Ludacris, Charlize Theron, and Nathalie Emmanuel in addition to Diesel and Rodriguez. Brie Larson from Captain Marvel and Daniela Melchior from The Suicide Squad will also join the cast.
Aquaman star, Jason Momoa, will play the franchise’s newest villain, Dante Reyes, the previously unknown son of Fast Five’s antagonist.
Diesel stated that the conclusion would be a proper and sad farewell to Paul Walker’s character Brian O’Conner.
The actor died suddenly while filming Fast & Furious 7 in 2013, and the company chose not to kill off his character at the time.
“That moment in 2013 when the world was struggling with his loss, the studio made a bold, righteous, and daring decision to keep Brian O’Conner alive,” Diesel told Total Film.
“I will give you this without spoiling anything: I couldn’t image this saga ending without truly saying goodbye to Brian O’Conner.”