Are you a die-hard fan of Apple Music, but frustrated that you cannot save your favourite tracks to listen to offline? According to recent statistics, Apple Music has over 87.4 million subscribers worldwide, and many of them are searching for methods on how to record from Apple Music directly, despite its restriction policy.
But before you dive into recording, it is important to understand the potential pitfalls of this approach. From legal risks to audio quality issues, there are several cons to consider.
In this article, we will guide readers through the different methods of recording from Apple Music and provide helpful insights on the potential drawbacks of each method.
Steps on how to record from apple music
1 . Use of voice memo app on your iPhone
- Choose the selected song from your apple music playlist and play it.
- While the song plays, launch your voice memo app
- Start recording by pressing the “Start/Stop” button in the Voice Memos app.
- Let the selected song, or songs play till the end, or as long as you want them to
- Once you are done, click on the stop button
- After stopping the recording, you can play it back to make sure it is recorded properly. If you’re satisfied with the recording, you can then save it in the Voice Memos app.
- You can edit and trim the recorded song at your convenience
- Once saved, you can share the recording by tapping on the recording and selecting the “Share” icon. From there, you can choose to share the recording via AirDrop, email, or other messaging apps.
Note: This feature may apply to only iPhone users alone. Though the utilization of the Voice Memos app for recording audio from Apple Music may appear to be effortless and convenient, it is essential to acknowledge that this approach could potentially compromise the quality of the recording
2 . Use of the screen recorder
To screen record Apple Music with audio using your phone’s built-in screen recorder, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple Music app on your phone and start playing the song or playlist you want to record.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the Control Center.
- Tap on the Screen Recording icon, which looks like a circle with a dot inside it.
- If you want to record audio from the Apple Music app, force touch or long-press the Screen Recording icon and select “Microphone Audio” from the options that appear.
- Tap on “Start Recording” and wait for the countdown to finish.
- Once the recording has started, go back to the Apple Music app and play the song or playlist you want to record.
- To stop the recording, swipe up from the bottom of the screen again and tap on the red “Stop Recording” button.
- The recorded video will be saved to your Photos app, where you can edit or share it as desired.
Note: The availability and functionality of the screen recorder feature may vary, depending on your phone’s make and model, as well as the version of its operating system. Also, it is worth emphasising that the quality of the audio captured during screen recording may not always be optimal, particularly in instances where the volume is low or when ambient noise is present.
3 . Use of DRmare audio converter
To record Apple Music using DRmare Audio Converter, follow these steps:
- Download and install DRmare Audio Converter on your computer.
- Launch DRmare Audio Converter and click on the “Add Files” button to import the Apple Music songs or playlists you want to record.
- In the output settings, choose the desired output format and adjust other settings as needed.
- Start the recording process by clicking on the “Convert” button.
- Once the recording is complete, the recorded audio files will be saved on your computer.
- Transfer the recorded audio files to your desired device or music player.
Note: DRmare Audio Converter enables you to record Apple Music seamlessly while maintaining the superior audio quality that preserves the music’s original sound components. It is important to ensure that you have the necessary permissions to record audio from Apple Music, as unauthorised recordings may infringe on copyright laws. Additionally, it is important to note that the use of third-party software to record Apple Music may violate Apple’s terms and conditions. So, it is advised to use this method at your own risk.
4 . Use of Audacity app/software
Compared to other recording methods, screen recording on Apple Music via Audacity delivers superior sound quality, although it requires more preparation and steps.
Below are the steps to record screen on Apple Music with audio using Audacity:
- First, download and install Audacity on your computer.
- Then, select the input source as either “Stereo Mix” or “Wave Out Mix” in the recording menu
- Next, open the Apple Music app on your computer and play the desired song or album.
- Afterwards, press the record button in Audacity to begin the recording process.
- Once the music finishes playing, stop the recording in Audacity and edit or trim the audio file as needed.
- To save the audio file, navigate to File > Export and choose the desired file format and storage location.
- Finally, transfer the audio file to your mobile device or any other playback device.
Note: The Stereo Mix and Wave Out Mix input source choices might not be supported by all devices. If so, use a virtual audio cables tool like VB-Cable or Audio Router to record the computer’s audio output and transfer it to Audacity as the input source.
Is recording from Apple Music legal?
Recording from Apple Music may not be legal in all situations and may violate the terms of service and copyright laws. It is crucial to check the legal requirements in your region before recording any content from Apple Music or any other streaming platform.
In general, streaming services provide licenses for personal, non-commercial use and recording content may fall outside the scope of those licenses. It is always advisable to consult with legal experts or the terms of service of the streaming service to understand the legality of recording content.
Other cons of recording from Apple Music
Besides its illegality, there are several potential cons to screen recording from Apple Music using various external means:
- Loss of audio quality: Depending on the settings used to record the audio, there may be a loss of audio quality in the recorded content.
- Time-consuming process: In some cases, screen recording from Apple Music requires several steps and setup, which can be time-consuming compared to other methods.
- Limited control over the recording process: Recording songs from Apple Music using the aforementioned methods does not provide advanced control over the recording process, such as selecting the audio source or adjusting the bitrate.
- Limited editing options: While other apps or software may provide extensive editing options, users may need to spend more time editing the recorded content to achieve the desired result.
- Compatibility issues: The recorded content may not be compatible with all devices or media players due to the format and other factors.