Most Pidgin English speakers in Nigeria love saying a word twice for emphasis. Borrow Borrow. Fear Fear. Cry Cry. Know Know. So, it comes as no surprise to hear them add another word to puff – a light pastry case, typically one made of puff pastry, containing a sweet or savoury filling – and come up with Puff Puff.
Puff Puff is a very common snack eaten across Sub-Saharan Africa with different names and a little bit of variation in the mode of preparation. It is a quick and easy recipe with a few low-cost ingredients usually sold in odds-and-end stores mainly by the roadside.
In Nigeria, this snack needs no introduction – it is a classic. But for those not in the know, Puff Puff is that spongy, deep-fried, spherical snack that is soft and brownish. It is made with instant yeast in a doughnut-like texture though slightly chewier.
If you can’t resist the allure of Puff Puff but would rather prepare and devour it at home, this article is all you need. We describe 3 distinct ways of making puff puff albeit with subtle differences so that there’s something for everybody. So, let’s lead you on a journey that takes less than an hour. All you need do is to Follow Follow and Copy Copy, Now Now!
ALSO READ: How to make delicious egg roll at home
Nigerian Puff Puff recipe
This is similar to but different from what is called Bofrot in Ghana. There are also similar recipes in East and South Africa called Mandazi (fried dough), in France called Beignet, and in Italy Zeppole just to mention a few.
- Adding nutmeg to this recipe is optional but if you like the subtle flavour it gives it, then it is necessary to add it.
- It is better to use your hands when mixing the dough but you can use the mixer. But don’t over mix.
- Instead of a spoon, you can use an ice cream scoop to drop the dough inside the oil.
- If the oil is too hot the Puff puff will get burnt before it is ready. However, if the oil is not hot enough, it will absorb too much oil leaving it greasy and soggy.
- Use a deep fryer or a heavy bottom pan (preferably a non-stick)
ALSO READ: Chin Chin: types, ingredients and recipe
Puff Puff recipe with milk & egg
- For about 25 balls of Puff Puff, you will need:
- 2 cups (250g) of Plain Flour
- 1 tablespoon of powdered milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of yeast (the one used in baking bread)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup granulated sugar (or to your taste)
- 3 pinches of salt
- Lukewarm water (for mixing)
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
ALSO READ: How to make Agege bread at home
Shoprite Puff Puff recipe
If you are craving this mouth-watering sweet treat snack in a place like Benin City and Shoprite is not in your location, do not despair. Their variant of Puff Puff is easy to make and when mastered will become your favourite among the lots.
You should believe them if you agree with their motto on Puff Puff: “Getting perfect round Puff Puffs is an art…we can cheat our way through it”.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 cup aster sugar/granulated sugar (to taste)
- 4 tsp. of instant yeast
- Sprinkle of Nutmeg
- Vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups warm water
Puff Puff Nutrition
Puff Puff is rich in Calories (138kcal), Carbohydrates (21g), Protein (3g), Fat (5g), Saturated Fat (4g), Sodium (101mg), Potassium (41mg), Fiber (1g), Sugar (4g), Calcium (5mg), and Iron (1mg).
So, guys, that’s how this snack is made. Feel free to top it up with jam and other condiments you normally eat doughnuts with. You can also serve it with a chilled drink of your choice. I will take mine with Heineken!
Ingredients and how to make Puff Puff
Most Pidgin English speakers in Nigeria love saying a word twice for emphasis. Borrow Borrow. Fear Fear. Cry Cry. Know Know. Scatter Scatter. Lie Lie. Corner Corner. So, it comes as no surprise to hear them add another word to puff – a light pastry case, typically one made of puff pastry, containing a sweet or savoury filling – and come up with Puff Puff.
Keywords: Puff puff
Recipe Yield: 25
Preparation Time: PT0H30M
Cooking Time: PT0H30M
Total Time: PT1H00M
Recipe Video Name: HOW TO MAKE PUFF-PUFF - NIGERIAN RECIPE
- 2 cups of flour
- 1¼ cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of yeast
- 1 teaspoon of Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of sugar + 1 teaspoon of sugar for proofing the yeast
- Enough oil for deep frying
How to make Nigerian Puff Puff:
- Mix half of a cup of warm water, one teaspoon of sugar, and the yeast in a bowl.
- Cover with a lid and set aside until the yeast becomes bubbly for about 4-6 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, salt, and Nutmeg.
- Pour the proofed yeast and the remaining one cup of water together with the dry ingredients and mix until the batter is lump-free.
- Cover the dough and allow it to rise for 1 hour. The risen dough has a distinct aroma, which signals that the dough is ready for frying.
- Preheat the oil in a pan deep and wide enough to accommodate the Puff Puff (about 360°F).
- Scoop a little bit of dough and drop the batter by spoonful into the oil.
- Fry both sides until golden brown. If you are finding it hard to turn the Puff Puff while frying you can just press down the balls a little bit with your frying spoon before turning it.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain and consume while still hot or warm.
How to make Puff Puff recipe with milk & egg:
- Put the flour in a bowl, add the ground nutmeg, powdered yeast, eggs, sugar, and salt.
- Mix all these.
- Add water in small quantities and milk and mix everything by hand till you have a good blend of all the ingredients.
- Add the yeast you mixed with lukewarm water. Use warm water to mix the Puff Puff ingredients if you want it to rise faster.
- Keep mixing till the batter is smooth but not too watery to flow from a spoon. The mix should be much thicker than pancake batter.
- Cover the bowl with aluminum foil and make sure it is airtight by pressing the edges of the bowl.
- Leave to rise for about 45 minutes. When it is ready to fry, the Puff Puff batter should have risen in quantity and will have some air bubbles.
- Pour some oil in a deep pot and allow to heat up. The oil should be at least 3 inches deep so that the Puff Puff will become spherical when scooped into the oil. You don’t want to end up with flat Pancakes!
- Test the oil to see if it is hot enough by putting a drop of batter into it. If it sizzles and comes up to the surface, then the oil is hot enough. If the oil is not hot enough, the batter will go down to the bottom of the pot and stay there.
- When the oil is hot enough, scoop some batter into it with your hand by pressing the batter to come out from between your thumb and index finger. This is what will make your Puff Puff have a near-perfect spherical shape.
- Once the underside of the Puff Puff has turned golden brown, flip the ball so that the topside will be fried as well.
- When both sides are golden brown, take out the Puff Puff and place them in a sieve.
How to make Shoprite Puff Puff:
- Sift the flour to get rid of any unwanted particles and to loosen it.
- Mix all the dry ingredients with a spatula.
- Gradually add warm water and mix with the dry ingredient mixture.
- Place the mixture in a warm place i.e., your oven or microwave.
- Leave it to rise for about 45 minutes. It should double in size. If the mixture doesn’t rise, it means something is wrong with your yeast. Preferably use instant yeast so you don’t need to soak it in water first, just add to flour.
- Pour vegetable oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- Now scoop the mixture with your measuring spoon (1 tbsp. scoop) into the pan of oil.
- Fry in small batches.
- Flip it once it starts to brown until it is a nice golden brown all over.
- Transfer from the pan to another bowl to drain the oil.